gfiles magazine

June 13, 2011

Meet the TOPPER

Meet the TOPPER  
S Divyadharshini, the 2011 UPSC Civil Services Examination topper, is the first woman from Tamil Nadu to top the exam. An alumnus of Asan Memorial School and a law graduate from Dr Ambedkar Law University, Chennai, she is a typical urban girl who likes to zip around the city on her Scooty, meet friends, go to the movies or watch cricket on TV. Sumit Bothra asked herabout her aspirations in the Indian Administrative Service.
gfiles: When did you first come to know about the Civil Services?
SD: During Plus Two, I searched online to get an in-depth idea about the Civil Services, the examination and the selection process. I am the first member from my family to join the Civil Services. My father is an exim consultant and my mother is a housewife. I have an elder sister who lives in Bengaluru and a brother who is a seafarer. I always wanted to be a lawyer, but during my college days I thought of the Civil Services.

gfiles: What motivated you?
SD: Quite a lot of movies that I watched depicted civil servants and the things that they could achieve. I realized that this is an important position that can empower one to bring about change in our society. I started to read about the Civil Services and decided to be a civil servant. I did not want to complain about the system as an outsider. I started working towards being a part of the system and bringing about the change that a lot of us want.

gfiles: Did you have a role model?
SD: Dr Abdul Kalam is my role model because he has so much confidence in the youth of India. I appreciate his greatness and personality. I also admire his humility.

gfiles: If not for the top rank and the IAS, what other service would you have settled for?
SD: I still cannot believe that I am a topper. No one can expect to be a topper. I would have joined any other service. I would have used it as a tool to deliver what I want to and would have continued to work hard.

gfiles: What has been the role of your school, teachers and sfriends?
SD: I have wonderful memories of my days at Asan Memorial School. We all make mistakes in school; our teachers scold us, yet teach us to learn from our mistakes. School friends don’t make you feel ashamed of mistakes, they instead believe in each other. I still maintain contact with my school friends and teachers. I have learnt from all of them.

gfiles:How are you preparing for training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy for Administration at Mussoorie?
SD: (laughs) I will leave behind the topper tag. I will take the training as a new task and go to the academy just like everyone else. But, frankly, the topper tag has made me more responsible and self-conscious. I am anxious about the training and curious too. I have seen a few videos on YouTube. I have never been away from my parents, but I think I will be able to cope with it.

gfiles: In your opinion, what makes India the country it is?
SD: India is remarkable. In the near future we will need effort to sustain and continue growth. The younger generation has a significant role to play and a lot of implementation depends on the youth. Once we achieve our target there will be no looking back.

gfiles: You spoke of being the instrument of change. Should change be gradual or disruptive?
SD: I believe change should be gradual and progressive for it to be adaptable. I expect that I will need a boost of confidence at all times to be a successful instrument of change.

gfiles:Would you like to share a thought with fellow youngsters and Civil Services aspirants?
SD: Once the youth is aware of its responsibility and the role it has to play in the development of our country, the dream of India being a super power can be achieved.

gfiles: What would you like to be known as or for?
SD: I would like to be known as being one from the system and one for the system. I would like to be near to the people of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment